Slack is often stand as “email killer” as it almost eliminates the internal email communication among the employees. It is actually a “messaging app” that make communication easier between co-workers and offer some extended features to improve collaboration.
Slack dashboard seems different to each person depends upon the channels they are a participant of. Basically, Slack offers three features:
Channels: On slack you can create different channels for your different projects, topics, or a conversation currently going on within a team. These are also termed as “open channels” and everyone who is a participle of that channel is able to see what is going on there.
Private channels: These are the channels on Slack, which are meant for sharing confidential information with a few team members.
Direct Message: This is the exact alternative for email. You can search for your co-worker quickly and can send him a direct message.
Apart from these there are some more things that you can do with Slack like:
- You can drag-drop and share your files within a conversation. You can even add comments, starr them or search for these files later.
- You can also add a link for Google drive spreadsheet or dropbox and they will get sync with your Slack. And you can use them anytime later you want.
- You can integrate your other apps with slack and can save yourself with a number of switching between different accounts. After the integration you will be able to get notifications within slack that makes it a one-stop platform.
Getting started with Slack!
To use Slack, first visit Slack.com and enter your email address. You will then pass through a number of web pages asking for the following:
- First, you have to name your overall slack account.
- You are then given a slack URL that is used by your whole team for sign in.
- Set your username that your co-workers will use to find you within slack.
- Now check your email to set your Slack password.
And that’s it you are all ready to slack. Now you are ready to send invitations to your co-workers. Now when your co- worker will accept your invitation you can interact with them and use the above mentioned features for increased productivity.